Monday, August 8, 2011

How can a Christian be against welfare, universal health care and services for those less fortunate in need?

The teachings of Jesus are clear. He said the poor would be with us always...and when we do for those who have lest, we do for him also. I ask this question because the current rhetoric in our country (USA) seems so contrary to what Jesus taught, but these same individuals invoke the name of Jesus and call themselves Christians! They do not love "their brothers" as themselves and want tax breaks for the wealthiest, while Jesus said to give to Caesar (the government) what is Caesar's (money). Being a believer in the teachings of Jesus and trying to spread love and compion vexes my Spirit, when I encounter, what I perceive to be hypocrites! Jesus also said that we are to judge the tree by the fruits it bears. For a "good" tree cannot bear "bad" fruit and a "bad" tree cannot bear "good" fruit. When I look at the discord and hatred that emits from some of the Tea Party movement members, some of the right-wing, conservatives, extremists and religious zealots, I see a tree that bears the fruits of separatism, hatred, selfishness,control,murder, destruction and anger. I cry through tears of both sadness and anger. I pray and ask God to forgive them "for they know not what they do." Other times I ask for God to smite them as David did. Our country (and the world) is on the brink of a civil, religious and revolutionary war, because we have not followed the gentle teachings of Jesus, Buddha or the Hindus. These three principals came with a similar message... Love,Hope and Faith. Not through threat of death if you didn't worship as they did, or place themselves on pedestals, or evoke war and deceit against infidels, but in practice of loving our human family, for there is but one race on this planet...the human race. I only ask this from individuals that believe in God, a Creator or Spiritual aspects. I would appreciate if those who do not espouse to such ideas not to respond. You certainly are entitled to your opinions and I would fight to defend them. I am not a religious person, for I do not believe in the "dogma," rituals and hiding of knowledge that has divided us, but I am Spiritual. I am not here to convert anyone, so therefore I ask for the same respect. I hope for humankind, that we will go beyond ourselves for answers. Outside of our needs for so much, our need for power or the need to be worshiped or admired. For with great power, comes great responsibility. That we are our "brothers keepers." That somehow we will understand that we are all family and must depend upon one another for the small and great things. I hope that we will not continue down this path of darkness we have chosen....I hope...I pray...I want to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment