Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Hmm...how do I ask this without sounding racist...oh well?

do you think it's fair for some white people to say they have nothing "culturally" in common with a black person? I don't b/c I am starting to see that cutlurally/socially, we COULD have a lot in common, but I was not fortunate enough to be exposed to those things. For instance, I am learning to snowboard at 21 only b/c it's free at my college, otherwhise I realize it's a damn expensive sport! No wonder I only see whites at the slopes they're willing and most likely have the means to pay for rentals, season p, snowboard goggles, helmet, jacket, boots, and blah blah blah....i'm already racking up over $300 on damn gear! It's ridiculous all in the name of "exercise and recreation?" I just find it unfair, b/c many people of color could be great at these things, but if they don't have the means nor opportunity to learn at 5 years old, how do you expect them to be "culturally similar!" Another example, I wanted to take piano and gymnastic lessons, but couldn't afford it, while all the white girls at my school were in everything and this is how they become olympians...they have the OPPORTUNITY

No comments:

Post a Comment